Join Our Discord! 0 MEMBERS ONLINE

Balancing Unarmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhihu

2017 Map Founder
Contributor
MVP+
Replying to this thread: http://mc-drugs.com/threads/lets-even-the-playing-field.4284/#post-17995
(Reply got really big so I just made another discussion thread)

Bringing this up again, because of Rush's unarmed skill. Across this thread we all pretty much agreed that there should be somewhat of a balance between the players who played 16 hours a day and the new player who just came on. Of course the veteran player is going to have the big bases, the good gear and the big faction, and a junky wouldn't and (imo) shouldn't even be close to competing against a veteran.

Earlier this map there was an issue with the "2 shot technique" which Kings found and pissed off a lot of people, but eventually we realized it was fair because any player could somewhat easily get the same gear to do the exact same thing: http://mc-drugs.com/threads/nerf-gear.3465/#post-13626

Later that week it ended up getting nerfed anyways, screwing the people who grinded axes already, but especially funfry (who has since quit the server): http://mc-drugs.com/threads/mcmmo-axes.3886/#post-15913
But...this did end up stopping the 2 shot technique bringing pvp back to what it was, a somewhat drawn out fight where the winner was determined on whoever was the more skilled pvper. Pros: Balanced PvP, Cons: Screws people who grinded for it

Now on Rush, they brought in the unarmed skill which was removed on regular mcdrugs for obvious reasons. But Rush is an OP server it is ment to be more "cancer" in all types of ways. But having an uncapped unarmed skill is broken, far more broken than the 2 shot pvp was. At level 1000, its a 35% chance of disarming someone, and with 1.8 pvp you lose your weapons very fast.

The main counter argument I got from the moderators zZero and AKA was to "just get 1000 unarmed before you pvp". Which is the reason I wanted to reply on this thread to talk about nerfing unarmed. [In my opinion] you shouldn't have to grind unarmed skill to 1000 before you can even pvp against others who already have, this is terribly unbalanced and straight out broken.

We will continue to try and balance everything as rush progresses, this is a brand new game and aspect we have never done before so please be patient while we work out all the kinks and work on adding new things!

I've looked on other "cancer faction servers" to see how they handle the unarmed skill. From most of the popular one's I saw, they only let their top donator rank have it, and cap it at around lvl 100, which maxes the disarm chance at 3%. It isn't normal, even on an op server, to have this broken aspect of pvp.

Last edited:

olicon

Mod
Staff member
Contributor
MVP+
2023 Gold Founder
I can agree with this.

I believe @DaddyPS originally wanted Unarmed to be a big factor of the game because of his love for the skill, but having the early part of the map be a power creep about who gets max unarmed first is definitely not an incentive I think anybody wants for gameplay progression factors.

OGDaddy

MVP+
First off unarmed isn't on mcd because of 1.9 pvp and fist having no cooldown, so you can spam click and do more damage then most other weapons. Secondly, if you don't want to get disarmed simply level unarmed to counter it, if people want to put in the time to level something to have an advantage I don't see any problem with that, it's the same principal as you grinding axes to get an advantage and outmatch your opponent who may have a lower axe skill. This is completely equivalent to you grinding axes to destroy someones armor and they doing 10% of the damage you're outputting so that person grinds axes to be a level playing field. I will look into it further and may nerf the disarm chance but unarmed will not be capped at anything less than 1000 due to the iron grip and dodge being worth it.

Zhihu

2017 Map Founder
Contributor
MVP+
it's the same principal as you grinding axes to get an advantage and outmatch your opponent who may have a lower axe skill.

The difference is that if you are good enough, you can actually beat someone with 1000 axes if you don't have it, it's not the case with unarmed. I find it very unlikely that a person withought it can actually come out on top since they won't be having a weapon the whole fight.

Turmp

MVP+
The difference is that if you are good enough, you can actually beat someone with 1000 axes if you don't have it, it's not the case with unarmed. I find it very unlikely that a person withought it can actually come out on top since they won't be having a weapon the whole fight.
I agree with this, a new player to the server will never have a weapon if they are fighting anyone with 1,000 unarmed but rush is already not noob friendly with people like little5layer having swords that one hit in p8 gear why chugging gaps.

Zhihu

2017 Map Founder
Contributor
MVP+
I agree with this, a new player to the server will never have a weapon if they are fighting anyone with 1,000 unarmed but rush is already not noob friendly with people like little5layer having swords that one hit in p8 gear why chugging gaps.
Yeah I realize a lot of things are unbalanced on Rush, the point is to try to make it somewhat noob friendly and keep the player count up...above 10 players would be nice.

LITTLE5LAYER

MVP+
I'm just better than you and you're salty.

Zhihu

2017 Map Founder
Contributor
MVP+
First off unarmed isn't on mcd because of 1.9 pvp and fist having no cooldown, so you can spam click and do more damage then most other weapons. Secondly, if you don't want to get disarmed simply level unarmed to counter it, if people want to put in the time to level something to have an advantage I don't see any problem with that, it's the same principal as you grinding axes to get an advantage and outmatch your opponent who may have a lower axe skill. This is completely equivalent to you grinding axes to destroy someones armor and they doing 10% of the damage you're outputting so that person grinds axes to be a level playing field. I will look into it further and may nerf the disarm chance but unarmed will not be capped at anything less than 1000 due to the iron grip and dodge being worth it.
I didn't realize that unarmed had all these other aspects to it, like dodging arrows, bonus damage. If the disarm chance was nerfed I am still grinding unarmed for the other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.