Not open for further replies.

Lurrn

Retired Staff
Staff member
Retired Staff
MVP++
PvP Tournament Winner
2021 Gold Founder
Currently, there are 2 lava pits in chasm and as a person who always goes to chasm when pits open when pvping people always tend to run to the lava to burn there gear. I don't think I'm the only one this is happening to and I think that they should be removed or replaced with something that won't cause people to loose there gains off killing someone.
Even if you just removed the big lava pit at the back and kept the small lava pit near by the front it would be an amazing adjustment

Last edited:

Lurrn

Retired Staff
Staff member
Retired Staff
MVP++
PvP Tournament Winner
2021 Gold Founder

Last edited:

krom

MVP+
while you*re at it - could we have a timer to eradicate all fire in pve? or at least limit the amount?

i'd run around and put it out but cannot for obvious reasons

StopTakingUsernames

Have you tried killing them before they get to the lava?
You can spam regen/health/speed, eat and apple to the lava. There isn't really such thing as a quick-drop in 1.12.2 pvp. And I think I'll have to back possypoo on his earlier statement, I hope that's a joke noodles. Most fights come down to pots and armour.

Last edited:

Spalw

Retired Staff
Retired Staff
This was brought to my attention a little while ago. I believe we had a discussion about it at the staff meeting and decided to keep it as it was.

I will definitely add something to resolve the issue regarding fire. You will likely get an answer from Dakota regarding the lava.

parcheesi15

Admin
Staff member
Admin
MVP++
2021 Gold Founder
2022 Gold Founder
2023 Gold Founder
Coming from a player who predominately does little pvp on MCD, I enjoy the lava pits. I feel a majority of people who go to chasm are not prepared for a large scale fight between factions (and if your computer contains half a potato inside of it like mine, chasm is not fun to pvp in).

I understand everyone knows their risk when they drop into chasm, however, if I open pit for an hour and farm with a few of my faction members for the first 40 minutes, I feel the lava pits give me a chance to keep another rival faction from coming in and taking the stack of souls that has been farmed by myself and my faction members. I say this with the assumption and from my experience that 2-3 people drop into chasm with full pot load outs that easily outmatch the setup of players farming.

The clear counter-argument here is that farming players should plan accordingly for such fights. The first issue I have with this is from personal experience and from watching Lurnn. If you solo kill a boss, you are guaranteed 3-4 inventory slots of fragments, an occasional full soul drop, and rarely an Axe of Famine or Summoners staff. That means always keeping 4-5 slots open for picking up items. Coming back to watching Lurnn, I observe him dropping pots in order to pick these items up. This gives me the assumption that he will always have an entire inventory of potions ready to pvp with and I assume this parallels to his faction members. This is not realistic for players who are farming souls.

My second counter is the lag aspect of pit. Even if I was forced to 'suck it up' and fill my inventory to the brim with potions, the pit is still located at spawn which hosts the peak point of lag for most players on MCD. For me personally, it does not really matter who I am pvping at spawn because I will lose the FPS battle before the pvp battle. So when I plan accordingly for fights, my plan is to run to the lava, rather than die before I know what happened.

This is just my opinion on it, sorry it is so long-winded. I'll be more than happy to try and answer any flaws/holes in my logic.

p0six

MVP+
PvP Tournament (Not Winner)
Coming from a player who predominately does little pvp on MCD, I enjoy the lava pits. I feel a majority of people who go to chasm are not prepared for a large scale fight between factions (and if your computer contains half a potato inside of it like mine, chasm is not fun to pvp in).

I understand everyone knows their risk when they drop into chasm, however, if I open pit for an hour and farm with a few of my faction members for the first 40 minutes, I feel the lava pits give me a chance to keep another rival faction from coming in and taking the stack of souls that has been farmed by myself and my faction members. I say this with the assumption and from my experience that 2-3 people drop into chasm with full pot load outs that easily outmatch the setup of players farming.

The clear counter-argument here is that farming players should plan accordingly for such fights. The first issue I have with this is from personal experience and from watching Lurnn. If you solo kill a boss, you are guaranteed 3-4 inventory slots of fragments, an occasional full soul drop, and rarely an Axe of Famine or Summoners staff. That means always keeping 4-5 slots open for picking up items. Coming back to watching Lurnn, I observe him dropping pots in order to pick these items up. This gives me the assumption that he will always have an entire inventory of potions ready to pvp with and I assume this parallels to his faction members. This is not realistic for players who are farming souls.

My second counter is the lag aspect of pit. Even if I was forced to 'suck it up' and fill my inventory to the brim with potions, the pit is still located at spawn which hosts the peak point of lag for most players on MCD. For me personally, it does not really matter who I am pvping at spawn because I will lose the FPS battle before the pvp battle. So when I plan accordingly for fights, my plan is to run to the lava, rather than die before I know what happened.

This is just my opinion on it, sorry it is so long-winded. I'll be more than happy to try and answer any flaws/holes in my logic.
The argument of this post essentially goes like this

1. Pvping in chasm is hard because most are set to farm
2. If someone doesn’t want others to have their souls, they can use lava pits to disintegrate them
3. We should have lava pits to prevent people from stealing souls off of those who farm

This logic is flawed mainly for one reason. It states that it wants to create a disincentive for pvp through lava pits. I think that if chasm is intended for people who want to take control by being the best at pvp, then it should be designed to be the most rewarding to those who can pvp the best. Therefore, I believe lava pits aren’t a good idea for the chasm.

Cjhuber

Staff member
MVP++
2021 Gold Founder
2022 Gold Founder

I love this, i agree 100% with Parcheesi15 the fact that you can hop over into the lave to get rid of your own stuff so that a rival faction cannot get it, is pointless. If you really want their stuff that bad then bring down a group and have one or two people posted to block the lava areas of the pit. I feel that if you wanted to stop people from going in there, that would be the easy solution. Bring more people down so that if they want to try you make it into the lava it is hard as hell to get into that area. The Chasm is such a vast area that unless you are ready for a full on fight with a rival faction i do not belive that you should go down in there and should stay up top and fight the mobs up there where there is no pvp at all between players.

Last edited:

p0six

MVP+
If we are discussing something that affects the entire server, and we are trying to create a solution that will affect the entire server, making an argument about what I, pohsix, some random player on the server can do to address one specific aspect of an issue is very pointless. Just because I can get half of my friends to go guard a lava pit, which DOESNT EVEN WORK TO STOP PEOPLE GETTING IN IT, doesn't mean the server as a whole will be more fun because lava pits exist. It is your job to prove that lava pits improve the gameplay of the server, and saying I can do XYZ as an individual is entirely invalid.

Last edited:

Lurrn

Retired Staff
Staff member
Retired Staff
MVP++
PvP Tournament Winner
2021 Gold Founder
Have you tried killing them before they get to the lava?

Chasm is made for pvp if you cant pvp or if your computer cant handle that dont come there its not fair others would have to suffer because of that
And if we speak on the part where i bring full potloadouts i only ever do this when a player such as dest is online and i feel like i will have to defend my self and the people im in chasm with this is simply me being strategic
"Coming from a player who predominately does little pvp on MCD" just proving that the only reason you disagree is because it benefits you your opinion is not based on the bettering of the server
Also try killing them before they reach the lava is an hillarious statement noodles running 50 blocks without dying is one of the easiest things to do and you could do it without pots with just some steak you could make it ESPECIALLY when theres skeletons with punch 2 bows just helping them

Last edited:

Lurrn

Retired Staff
Staff member
Retired Staff
MVP++
PvP Tournament Winner
2021 Gold Founder
I love this, i agree 100% with Parcheesi15 the fact that you can hop over into the lave to get rid of your own stuff so that a rival faction cannot get it, is pointless. If you really want their stuff that bad then bring down a group and have one or two people posted to block the lava areas of the pit. I feel that if you wanted to stop people from going in there, that would be the easy solution. Bring more people down so that if they want to try you make it into the lava it is hard as hell to get into that area. The Chasm is such a vast area that unless you are ready for a full on fight with a rival faction i do not belive that you should go down in there and should stay up top and fight the mobs up there where there is no pvp at all between players.
Even with two people guarding it all you have to do is one simple bow boost and boom your in the lava pit it really isnt hard

Spalw

Retired Staff
Retired Staff
If we are discussing something that affects the entire server, and we are trying to create a solution that will affect the entire server, making an argument about what I, pohsix, some random player on the server can do to address one specific aspect of an issue is very pointless. Just because I can get half of my friends to go guard a lava pit, which DOESNT EVEN WORK TO STOP PEOPLE GETTING IN IT, doesn't mean the server as a whole will be more fun because lava pits exist. It is your job to prove that lava pits improve the gameplay of the server, and saying I can do XYZ as an individual is entirely invalid.
It is clearly a contested issue, but it is a discussion about a fundamental issue, completely dismissing other's opinions as being "invalid" and the logic "entirely flawed" is very poor for the discussion.

Fundamentally, the function of the chasm is to allow player's to make the choice between taking a risk for greater rewards, or playing it safe. The meta surrounding the chasm was not something we could have predicted (although we had a pretty good idea), but your assumption of our choices about the main design choices which therefore dictate the function of the chasm are incorrect.

The Pit was a new idea. We plan on making changes, and we value feedback very greatly. This thread very quickly turned from a suggestion of a feature to a discussion about the meta and design of the pit holistically. I strongly encourage what ever feedback you have regarding the pit, but please be mindful of disregarding other's opinions for no reason.

Dakotaa

Owner
Staff member
Owner
I do agree that these lava pits remove a lot of the incentive to PvP in the chasm. Both parties "losing" because the person about to be killed decides, in spite, to destroy their items is in no way a more desirable outcome than the winners getting the gear. Destroying the items shouldn't be the most viable option for keeping these valuable items from your enemies - bring more strength to the chasm if you want to keep the items that you secure in the chasm.

For these reasons, I've drained the lava pits.

Last edited:

_Dest

Mod
Staff member
Even though the lava pits have been removed I’m still going to add my 2 cents to it.

As someone mainly goes into the chasm just to pvp and someone who has personally used the lava pits to delete gear if I’m getting outnumbered then has also been annoyed when I sometimes fail to stop the player I’m fighting from getting into the lava pit to deleted their gear, it’s not difficult to stop them from getting into the lava, especially when you have a couple friends down there helping you. However sometimes it does happen where one of the skeletons in the chasm will give them a helping hand by knocking them towards the main lava pit in the back corner and basically giving them a free ticket to delete their gear or they just get ahead of you and get inside the lava pit before you even have a chance to stop them.

I do believe it should be fair for both parties and give them the same option they’d have when fighting at warp wild or just in wilderness in general and that would be to back down and since in the chasm you can’t really run away you should have the option to delete your gear, but I also believe it shouldn’t be free and should come with a risk as you’d take by jumping into the chasm in the first place. Once a player gets inside the back lava pit you can’t really knock them out of it, so I suggest removing the back main lava pool away and keeping the 2nd lava pool that was near the water and out in the open then removing some of the lava from it so there isn’t much there. With that lava pool it’s extremely easy knocking players out it without killing the player that is trying to delete his gear.

I also agree and disagree with dakotaa’s Opinion about bringing more strength to the pit to keep your gear a bit safer, yes bringing more players to the chasm can increase your chances of surviving and keeping your gear but no I still feel players should have the option to forfeit the fight just like they would in wilderness or wild, if they run away sucessfully in wild/wilderness the player fighting them doesn’t get their gear but the player that ran away gets to keep his gear, with the chasm if a player decides to forfeit the fight then regardless that player that forfeits is going to lose his gear that way the player still loses while in the chasm.

I’m personally not a fan of the whole running or trying to burn your items thing anywhere(wild, wilderness,chasm) but if it makes players feel safer that the lava pits are there and brings their courage up a bit to try and contest players in the chasm which brings more pvp to the server then I’m all for it and encourage players that try and fight me in the chasm to burn their gear if they feel like they’re losing.

Last edited:

p0six

MVP+
Even though the lava pits have been removed I’m still going to add my 2 cents to it.

As someone mainly goes into the chasm just to pvp and someone who has personally used the lava pits to delete gear if I’m getting outnumbered then has also been annoyed when I sometimes fail to stop the player I’m fighting from getting into the lava pit to deleted their gear, it’s not difficult to stop them from getting into the lava, especially when you have a couple friends down there helping you. However sometimes it does happen where one of the skeletons in the chasm will give them a helping hand by knocking them towards the main lava pit in the back corner and basically giving them a free ticket to delete their gear or they just get ahead of you and get inside the lava pit before you even have a chance to stop them.

I do believe it should be fair for both parties and give them the same option they’d have when fighting at warp wild or just in wilderness in general and that would be to back down and since in the chasm you can’t really run away you should have the option to delete your gear, but I also believe it shouldn’t be free and should come with a risk as you’d take by jumping into the chasm in the first place. Once a player gets inside the back lava pit you can’t really knock them out of it, so I suggest removing the back main lava pool away and keeping the 2nd lava pool that was near the water and out in the open then removing some of the lava from it so there isn’t much there. With that lava pool it’s extremely easy knocking players out it without killing the player that is trying to delete his gear.

I also agree and disagree with dakotaa’s Opinion about bringing more strength to the pit to keep your gear a bit safer, yes bringing more players to the chasm can increase your chances of surviving and keeping your gear but no I still feel players should have the option to forfeit the fight just like they would in wilderness or wild, if they run away sucessfully in wild/wilderness the player fighting them doesn’t get their gear but the player that ran away gets to keep his gear, with the chasm if a player decides to forfeit the fight then regardless that player that forfeits is going to lose his gear that way the player still loses while in the chasm.

I’m personally not a fan of the whole running or trying to burn your items thing anywhere(wild, wilderness,chasm) but if it makes players feel safer that the lava pits are there and brings their courage up a bit to try and contest players in the chasm which brings more pvp to the server then I’m all for it and encourage players that try and fight me in the chasm to burn their gear if they feel like they’re losing.
I would be surprised to find out that lava pits make people feel safer; lava pits are a backup plan if you hate the person you're fighting and want to burn the set. I don't see how they'd encourage more pvp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.